When is the best time to install an irrigation or sprinkler system?
When is the best time to install an irrigation or sprinkler system?
Irrigation Systems: Saving Time While Saving Lawns
Most of us remember running through the sprinklers on a hot summer day as children. Turning on the hose was a simple way to stay cool and ensure the lawn survived the hot, dry conditions.
However, irrigation has come a long way over the past few years. Advances in technology now offer sophisticated and relatively low-cost solutions by way of automated, in-ground irrigation that, while not as fun for the kids as that good old fashioned sprinkler, offer extreme efficiency with an eye towards water conservation.
What’s an irrigation or sprinkler system?
An irrigation system offers many benefits and is one of the most efficient ways to water your plants. It can be used to water your lawn, garden, or any other area where plants are grown. They can be either manual or automatic, and while automatic systems are usually more expensive, they’re also more convenient and easier to use.
There are many different types of irrigation systems available on the market.
- Drip irrigation system: Drip irrigation is a type of system that delivers water directly to the roots of your plants. It’s an extremely efficient way to water your garden, and it can help to reduce the amount of water waste.
- Sprinkler irrigation: A sprinkler irrigation utilizes a series of sprinklers to evenly distribute water over your lawn or shrubs. Sprinkler systems are easy to use and maintain, and they’re a great option for larger areas. This irrigation method can be fairly complex, so check out our article here for more information: Sprinkler Systems 101.
- Soaker hose irrigation: Uses a soaker hose to deliver water directly to the plant roots. Soaker hoses are a practical way to water your garden, and they’re also easy to use and maintain.
The Pros and Cons of Sprinkler and Irrigation Systems
As with anything, there are both pros and cons to having an irrigation system.
Some of the pros include:
- An efficient way to water your plants. An automatic system eliminates the need for you to water your plants by hand and is capable of delivering the exact amount of water you want, exactly where you want it. An irrigation system also allows you to cover large areas with relative ease.
- Reduce water waste. Because irrigation systems deliver water directly to the roots of your plants, less water is lost through evaporation. This can help you with saving money on your water bill, and it can also help to conserve water.
- Saves you time. No more rolling out the hose or standing in one spot with a sprayer. If you have a busy schedule, an irrigation system can save you a lot of time that you would otherwise spend watering your plants by hand.
Some of the cons include:
- Expensive and labor intensive installation. The cost of an irrigation system will vary depending on the size and complexity of your system. However, you can expect to pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a quality system.
- Requires regular maintenance. Like any other type of mechanical system, irrigation systems require regular maintenance to function properly. This can include tasks such as flushing the system, checking for leaks, and replacing broken parts.
- If not used properly, it can result in water waste. Over watering is one of the most common problems with irrigation systems. This can occur if your system is not properly calibrated, if there is a leak in your system, or if you water during a rainy day (which can be avoided by utilizing rain sensors). Water waste can also occur if you water your plants during the wrong time of day. For example, watering your plants during the heat of the day can cause evaporation, which can waste water.
Overall, many homeowners find the advantages of irrigation systems outweigh any disadvantages, but it’s important to weigh the pros and cons before deciding if an irrigation system is right for you and your landscaping.
The Best Time to Install an Irrigation System
Installation of an irrigation system can be performed at any time of year. However, it’s usually best to install them in the fall because it’s usually cooler and there’s less chance of drought. This means your plants have an easier time adapting to the new system. It also gives you plenty of time to get the system up and running before the summer heat arrives following the spring thaw. For more tips on fall yard maintenance, click here: Fall Yard Clean-Up.
You should avoid installing a system during the summer as it can be more difficult to dial in the correct watering schedule during the hottest months of the year. Harder ground during the dryer months also makes it more difficult to install the system which may ultimately cost you more dollars in labor. It goes without saying that winter, when the ground is cold and pipes are susceptible to freezing, is also a less-than-ideal time.
If you live in an area with a lot of rain or frequent flooding, you may want to reconsider installing a sprinkler system. Flooding can damage or destroy irrigation systems, and it can be costly to repair or replace them.
However, if you live in an area that’s prone to drought, an irrigation system can be a valuable asset. Not only does it help you to keep your plants healthy during periods of drought, it can help you to conserve water.
All that said, for the vast majority of homeowners or business owners, an irrigation system is a great addition to your garden or landscaping.
Irrigation System and Sprinkler Maintenance
Properly maintaining your irrigation system is important as it reduces costly repairs, water waste, and the risk of damage to your landscaping. Here are some tips for maintaining an irrigation system:
Here are some tips for maintaining an irrigation system:
- Check the system regularly for leaks.
- Keep the system clean and free of debris.
- Have the system professionally serviced every few years.
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions when using the system.
- In cold areas, it’s especially important to winterize your in-ground system by performing a blowout. Check out our article here for more information: Irrigation Blowouts.
- Call a professional when in doubt.
If you’re having problems with your irrigation system, it’s best to contact a professional for help. The professionals at All Metro Service Companies can take the guesswork out of the equation and help troubleshoot the problem and make any necessary repairs.
Wondering if an irrigation system is the right choice for your home?
We can help you make that decision! There are many pros and cons to consider when deciding if an irrigation system is the best choice for your property. Our team of professionals can walk you through all of the details and help you make the best decision for your needs.
An irrigation system can keep your lawn looking green and healthy all year round, no matter what the weather throws at it. And it’s not just about keeping your lawn looking good – a well-maintained irrigation system can also save you money on your water bill.
Installing a well-planned and efficient irrigation system is also not an easy task, so it is usually a good idea to have your sprinkler system professionally installed. Contact us today to learn more about how we can ensure you achieve a lush lawn with an efficient watering system.
on all Services
Use the form below to request a free estimate on any of our services.